We are committed to conducting our business in a responsible manner and taking into account the social, environmental and economic impacts of our actions. We strive to use materials of known origin that meet or exceed the current legislative requirements. This way we manage hygiene and product safety throughout the entire supply chain from product development to production and distribution.
Our tissue and greaseproof paper products are biodegradable and easily disposable. This means that after using them, you can compost, recycle or burn them for energy. In addition to fresh fibre, we strive to source our other raw materials come from reliable suppliers. Our target is that 100 percent of our raw materials are traceable by 2030. In 2020 we reached 78 per cent.
The main raw material for tissue paper products, fresh or recycled fibre, is 100 per cent fossil free. In addition to wood fibre, we use additives in the manufacture of our products to ensure good absorbency and strength. Our target for 2030 is to have only fossil free raw materials and in 2020 we already reached 98 per cent. We use all the additives and substances that are necessary for the production process in such a way that they do not cause harm to people or the environment. They meet the requirements of the Nordic Ecolabel and EU Ecolabel criteria. The safety of the chemicals we use is important, as many of our products come into contact with the skin and food. For this reason, we have pre-defined limits both for chemical properties and the quantities used. Our pre-approval procedure ensures that these restrictions are met. Our mill personnel are trained to handle chemicals safely and appropriately.
By the end of 2020, suppliers that covered 92 per cent of Metsä Tissue’s total purchasing were committed to Metsä Group Supplier Code of Conduct. In addition, a sustainability evaluation, which includes a suppliers’ self-assessment questionnaire and development actions, covered 31 per cent of suppliers measured by spend. Read more of our sustainable supply chain management
Metsä Tissue is committed to developing its logistics to become even more efficient and operating as close to our markets and customers as possible to reduce transportation needs and carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions. Metsä Tissue’s tissue paper mills located in the Nordic countries produce an average of 640 tonnes of paper daily. This equals about 120 truckloads of tissue paper every day of the year.
Transporting light, airy and bulky tissue paper products over long distances is not sustainable. Transport distances are thus kept as short as possible, and the products are packed efficiently. In 2020, 95 per cent of our deliveries were made within a distance of 500 kilometers from our mills. Metsä Tissue aims to produce all products as close to their place of consumption as possible. This allows us to minimise overly long transportation and eliminate unnecessary distance.
Metsä Tissue also aims to harmonize its product range in such a way that storing and transporting products would be as efficient as possible. Also the packaging of our products to pallets has a big impact on the efficiency of logistics. In Germany, for example, we have reduced the roll diameter of a group of toilet papers to be able to load 34 percent more tissue into a truck. In Slovakia, as another example household paper roll diameter optimization has given us the positive impact of being able to pack between 25 to 40 per cent more products into a truck depending on the product type.
Metsä Tissue has been developing its plastic packaging so that the plastic wrappings are made thinner, thereby reducing the use of plastics. Plastic is also not the only way to pack tissue products and we have a range of products that we deliver in cardboard boxes, which offers a good protection when there is no fear of excess moisture and the content is heavy, such as in professional tissue product usage.
At the moment 98 per cent of the raw materials Metsä Tissue uses is fossil free, and the remaining 2 per cent includes for example packaging materials and some chemicals used in our processes. At Metsä Tissue, we continuously look for ways to reduce, recycle, and replace plastics in packaging and our goal is to have a plastics-free product offering by 2030.
We avoid over-packaging and transport our products in large batches, so that the use of plastic per delivered paper product remains as low as possible. Metsä Tissue collaborates with its suppliers to develop packaging and dispensers and to find alternative materials. In 2020 to be able to further improve the impact of our offering, we have gradually increased the amount of plastic foils that contain more recycled material. Our tests with wrapping foils in Germany with 30 per cent of recycled content, and up to 65 per cent of recycled content in the Nordic countries for the Lambi and Serla brands, have proven successful and the new wrapping materials will be taken into use in 2021.