Mänttä mill was established in 1868 by Gustaf Adolf Serlachius. Originally the mill was a groudwood mill, but the company launched production of toilet tissue in 1908 and production of greaseproof paper in 1924.
The mill has three tissue paper machines, 11 converting lines for tissue paper and one greaseproof paper machine. Mänttä mill has a deinking plant, where we handle recycled paper used in the tissue production process. Mänttä was the first mill in Finland to use recycled fibre in tissue paper.
In Mänttä we produce toilet tissues, household towels, handkerchiefs, industrial rolls and greaseproof paper for baking and cooking products. We have approximately 400 employees working in production, maintenance, logistics, product and process development, business and administration.
We operate sustainably
Weare an active community member and respect the diversity of the local communities in which we operate. We employ a significant number of people and actively promote well-being at work. Our local involvement includes cooperation with the local authorities, schools, media and different partners and organisations. We work continuously to protect and enhance the environment surrounding our mill.
Mäntän Puhdistamo Oy is a company owned by Metsä Tissue, the Mänttä-Vilppula community, Kemira and Mäntän Energia. The company purifies wastewater through its bio-wastewater treatment plant. This enabled the closure of the water treatment plants in Vilppula and Kolho, thus decreasing the load on local waterways and bringing savings.
Did you know that...
- from one medium-sized tree, we can produce more than 1000 rolls of toilet paper.
- an average household in Finland buys 91 rolls of toilet paper and 28 rolls of kitchen paper per year.
- in Mänttä mill, we produce approximately 340 tons of tissue paper in a day – the amount corresponds to three million rolls of toilet paper.
- each day we deliver some 30 trucks filled with tissue products from Mänttä mill to Finnish grocery stores.
- in our Mänttä mill we have employees even in the 6th generation. Our mill has provided the livelihood for a vast group of employees and families for over a century.
- we throughly know the origin of the wood we use.