Metsä Tissue was founded in 1868 as a forest industry company originally known as ‘G.A. Serlachius Oy’. Acquisitions and mergers have played an important role in Metsä Tissue’s history.
G.A. Serlachius was a pharmacist who founded a ground wood factory in Mänttä, Central Finland, in 1868. The company launched production of toilet tissue in 1908 and production of greaseproof paper in 1924. Tissue-based napkins and handkerchiefs were introduced in Finland in the 1930s.